|Wedding Cupcakes! Photo by Brown's Photography|
|Add dry ingredients to wet|
- Choose your muffin liner size wisely. These cupcakes don’t rise as much as cupcakes that use eggs do, so I generally go with a medium liner.
- Do not overfill your muffin liner! Make no mistake, these cupcakes do still rise, so only fill them ¾ full with batter.
- Use a little extra baking soda to get them to rise more, but don’t use too much! I’ve tried this a few times and can’t give you an exact measurement, but a little extra baking soda will help them to rise more. However, adding a whole lot extra baking soda will make it taste coarse and not so moolicious.
- Check the margarine label, not all margarine is vegan. Those that are will specifically say so.
1½ cups flour
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup vegetable oil plus 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cups water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with medium-size muffin liners.
3. In a bowl, mix together flour, salt, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until smooth.
6. Fill muffin liners 3/4 full with cupcake mixture.
7. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into cupcakes comes out clean.
8. Allow cupcakes to cool 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan when cool to touch. Allow to cool completely.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup vegan margarine, softened
¼ cup plain unsweetened almond milk or soymilk
¾ cup unsweetened pure cocoa powder
½ teaspoon vanilla
1. Using the whip attachment on the KitchenAid, cream the vegan margarine until soft and smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix until incorporated and there are no lumps. Add the almond or soy milk, cocoa powder and vanilla. Mix on medium to high until smooth.
2. Put mixture into a piping bag with desired tip, and frost cupcakes. There should be more than enough frosting for a dozen cupcakes.
More photos on PhotoBucket!
Foodie.com Back to School eCookbook.